You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

Monday, January 9, 2017

Whole 30- WHY? What did I get myself into!?

So my journey started a LONG time ago- I've literally tied about every nutrition and fitness program under the sun! Macros, and protein only, South Beach and The Zone, you get the picture.  They were all a learning experience that had their ups and downs. Some worked amazingly while, others I could NOT stick with the program.

Finally over the past 3 years I did find a way that was more sustainable- not just for me but for my ENTIRE family.  We cleaned up our act.  We could even enjoy "cheat" meals and  parties but stay on track with our health and fitness. 

So your thinking "If it ain't broke!! What the hell are you doing!?" Well I think there is always room for improvement.  I have been reading so much about Whole 30 and the results people have been getting with their health, weight loss, sleep quality, energy levels, mood and self-esteem.  I'm no stranger to a cleanse you can read about my Ultimate Reset results HERE. I also have been very busy building my health and fitness business and I am pretty sure that my personal drive and determination to be successful have caused some chronic fatigue and sleeplessness. So here I am wondering if the Whole 30 plan could be something that my body would respond in a positive way to.

I tend to have sleep issues, joint pain and fatigue. I know that I am sensitive to certain foods. Thru my years for cleaning up my eating and doing things like Ultimate Reset I know I'm sensitive to dairy and gluten.  Which was tough for me since I LOVE cheese. 

So even though I feel like I have, over the past 3 years, followed the 80/20 rule pretty well meaning 80% clean eating and 20% treats or off plan I still feel like I can learn more. This plan sounds like it could be another way for me to stretch my boundaries and make some adjustments.

WHAT will I actually eat (and not eat) over the next 30 days?

Well fortunately for me, it won't be such a departure from my day to day nutrition.  I'm going to eat more foods what will focus on promoting a healthy psychological and hormonal response.  As well as healthy immune system, gut function and minimize inflammation. 

There are a number of foods that promote inflammation and the thought is if you cut them down or eliminate them it will make a bid difference in how you feel and how your body reacts. 

SLAYING the Sugar Dragon- Cold Turkey

I am cutting out ALL Sugar.  So for me personally that means:
  • Stevia/Truvia
  • Honey
  • Agave Nectar
  • Maple Sugar
Why? Because they don't make you healthier, they are actually empty calories that promote overconsumption.  They, while substituting for more poor choices like white sugar, they also keep you craving it.  Empty calories the promote an unhealthy relationship with your food that becomes hard to break.  Its a sugar addiction that you just substitute for something else.

These types of habits also are shown to cause insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity.  Disrupting the balance of gut bacteria as well. 

On the Wagon

Another factor- NO booze for the next 30 days.  Yes, no wine, vodka, beer, nada! Alcohol can be a pretty social thing but it contributes to "leaky gut" ewwwww. 

No Grain Zone

Whole Grains are another one that gets the cut! No corn, rice, millet, buckwheat, quinoa etc..... Also passing on the peanuts and soy becuase it's not great for the inestines.   Soy has been one I have passed on for some time due to how it messes with your estrogen.  As a cancer survivor, I'm all good with keeping soy out of my life!  

My Break Up with Dairy

Dairy is a big NO. But I have had an on again off again, really volatile relationship with dairy ever since I did the Ultimate Reset in 2015.  This is something that I have already cut WAY down on for some time. It just doesn't agree with me at all as much as I have a secret LOVE affair with it for as long as I can remember.  Im talking the local cheese shop (Frommage) knows me by name love affair!   The cold hard facts are that milk proteins do in fact produce a high insuline response in our bodies which can cause inflammation. Boo!!

**If you need a cheese plate call Frommage, seriously DELISH! [Midnight Moon, Humbolt Fog, Drunken Goat and Manchego to name a few favorites... ] But I CAN'T have any next 30 days! #ImACheeseJunkie #CallMyCheeseDealer

Sacrifice y'all, its a thing!!

SO, what the Eff CAN I have Girl!!

So while I just told you all the things I’m not eating, I am still eating a lot of great foods.
  • Lean proteins
  • Fresh fruits and veggies
  • All natural good fats
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Seafood
Here is my meal plan for the first week.

Monday 

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut 

Lunch: Grilled chicken salad, chopped up apple, sunflower seeds and dressing.

Snack: Handful of Cashews

Dinner: Rotisserie Chicken & Veggies

Tuesday

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut

Lunch: Spinach salad with rotisserie chicken

Dinner: Butternut Squash soup with spinach and Rotisserie Chicken

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Spinach Frittata

Lunch: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, water, ice and unsweetened coconut

Dinner: Butternut squash soup with shrimp and spinach.

Thursday:

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut

Snack: RX Bar

Lunch: Grilled Chicken Salad

Dinner: Grilled steak, sweet potato and steamed veggies

Friday:

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut

Lunch: Scrambled eggs with red pepper and onions

Dinner: NY Strip Steak with Sweet Potato dressed with coconut oil salt and pepper

Saturday:

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut 

Lunch: 3 eggs over sweet potato hash and 1/2 an Avocado

Dinner: Grilled meat with steamed veggies

Sunday:

Breakfast: Shakeology w/ almond butter, spinach, unsweetened almond milk, ice and unsweetened coconut

Snack: apple & walnuts

Lunch: Grilled meat and veggies/ zucchini

NOTE: 

I know that on the Whole 30 they say NO to Shakeology and to Energize (my pre-workout drink) but (as the book says) I'm an adult and I get to decide what I'm going to do with the program.

I am going to make my own modification.  Especially since the book suggests taking vitamens to be sure you have balanced vitamins.  Uh, yeah NEGATIVE. Can you say fillers and just icky stuff I stopped taking since they also have been said to promote cancer.

I am completely aware that its not laid out that way.  But after years of using Shakeology personally I feel very strongly about keeping it as a part of my routine. END OF DISCUSSION ON THAT ONE!

Dinner on Friday Fabulous

What do I hope to accomplish? I am hoping to SLAY that sugar dragon for good! I am a sugar-holic for sure and I don't believe I have EVER gone without sugar and bread of some kind for an entire month! Im SO curious how I will feel and what changes physically I'll experience.

I have always eaten several small meals daily so cutting down to 3 main meals and maybe a snack? Thats huge also! 

Breakfast or Lunch? Fabulous!

What am I doing for workouts? 

 I am going to be following the 21 Day Fix for the next month. 

I can't wait to be able to share our results with everyone! I'm pretty sure that this will be a Challenge Group next month so stay tuned for the details!!

Thanks for following my journey and I'll keep you all posted how its going each week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment