You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Aerial Yoga: First Class, Didn't Die


So talk about push out of my comfort zone! I can't even tell you how excited and terrified I was all at once. Really.

I loved the idea of Aerial Yoga, it looked so amazing! But could I really, gracefully hang from that silk like my Yoga teacher!? They make it look so effortless, but with my limited Yoga experience I know not every move is as it seems. I will tell you while this practice did challenge me, I was excited to push myself out of my comfort zone and try something that honestly scared me a bit! No one wants to look foolish but I figured this was a Workshop, we were all learning so we could do regular classes so who cares, I was going to do my best, ask questions and keep going!

Maria Calo, Owner/Instructor Studio Ascend
My experience prior to this class was via my at home workouts.  I learned a lot in the comfort of my home and vastly improved my flexibility.  But, I am also wildly self conscious and the thought of taking this skill to a REAL class made my palms sweat!! Really! But I knew that THIS was not something I wanted to try at home, I wanted guidance so I didn't crack my head open (literally)!

There is a strength and flexibility aspect that tests you. My Yoga Instructor and Owner of Studio Ascend is proof of the practice.  Maria Calo, is not only physically strong but her heart is in this practice.  She is very approachable and knowledgable.  Sometimes it was just the position of a foot or a physical example that she would show you to help your understanding.  She does this with humor and kindness so you don't feel awkward or incapable.

Maria is the kind of strong many aspire to including myself.  I'm a closet "Yoga Groupie", I want so badly to "Scorpion" or "Crane" and I admire those with the strength and balance to do this thru practice.  But I was embarrassed to try a real class.  Until NOW!

Some Benefits of Aerial Yoga

So why do this practice?

Total body workout: Due to the nature of aerial yoga movements, almost all the body parts are forced to move and stretch. Muscles are toned and redefined, and joints are regenerated and strengthened due to these movements.

Improves flexibility: Aerial yoga helps you to move more freely, with less effort, by counteracting gravity. Suspension in the air releases tension on the bones and muscles, increasing flexibility and deepening your practice. Suspended yoga strengthens core muscles and increases spinal and shoulder flexibility.

Improves back problems: It gives you the chance to hang freely, allowing your spine to lengthen. With less strain on your back while doing the exercises, it eases tension in the spinal cord and hip joint, helping you feel better.

Increases strength: Aerial yoga improves strength and flexibility, which carries over into other daily activities. The core workout is a beneficial cross-training, as it helps runners increase stamina and be able recover faster.

Puts you in a great mood: Another key benefit of doing aerial yoga is that it gets your adrenaline going while going against gravity. It also releases “happy” hormones like serotonin, endorphins, oxytocin, dopamine, which boost your mood and help you feel more energetic.

My Experience

So not to give it away, but you can see from the above picture I was successful in achieving and upside down posture! Yeah! I wasn't alone! My 8 other classmates did too! I was surprised that moving into an aerial handstand with the support of the very encouraging instructor was surprisingly easy—and AWESOME. I left class feeling extra-flexi, strong and accomplished. I thought my skin even looked a little glowy, maybe thanks to all the blood that had rushed to my face.

Before Class

I arrived with a bottle of water and myself basically.  Everything was provided for me.  Of course if you have your own Yoga mat your welcome to bring it but there are mats available for use. 

The Silks that you hang from are anchored securely into the ceiling- Maria assured me the silk itself can hold over 2,000 lbs.,  each silk was hovering over a yoga mat where you would do your practice. 

Workshop

We started out the workshop by learning basics and how to safely and comfortably get into postures and hang so we were properly supported.  This was key, where you place the silk on your body and how you invert (turn upside down) so you have some control.  Maria emphasized many times to relax and "soften" into your body as well as assuring correct placement for all of us. Pushing past the "fear factor" and assuring us we can do this. These visual and verbal reminders really helped be remember to breathe into the movement and relax.  Which is saying something as you are upside-down, reaching for your foot!

Class Time

After we got the basics down the second hour was focused on the flow of a class.  It incorporated floor yoga with the aerial and pushed the limits. There was always a modification or if you were feeling a bit nauseous (totally normal) from hanging upside down, child's pose was your friend! The class is designed to create comfort with the practice and to challenge.

I am competitive by nature and this was such a GREAT personal challenge, and while we were all into our practices, when I was floundering like a fish on the floor with my feet caught in the silks (yeah that happened) I laughed out loud.  What can you do?!

The time literally FLEW by! I absolutely LOVED every moment.  I mean come on, who doesn't want to release their inner acrobat? How beautiful is it to hang from those silks in postures you never thought you could achieve? Its DAMN MAGICAL!

Oh and if you know Yoga, you know "Savasana".  That is considered per Maria "the hardest part of yoga and when yoga truly begins... where every breath and movement integrates into the body to cause shifts and changes." well how about Aerial Savasana? Yeah, hanging in your lovely silk like a hammock and taking a little Yoga nap at the end?? WORTH IT! 

After Class

We sprayed, wiped down our mats and put them away.  We were instructed to drink a lot of water and avoid alcohol for the next 24 hours.  Your body goes thru quite a workout so you want to support it and not drain it. Maria warned us we would likely be sore the next day. 

Next Day

Sore? Yes, I'm sore.  Not crazy sore, but I know I tested flexibility that I had not previously. I also pushed myself harder because of the classroom environment.  I actually loved that part.  There was also an amazing meditative nature to the class that I loved and one that is unique to the instructor teaching the class.  Totally zen, totally awesome!

I do love my home workouts but this is one I'd leave the house for again and I plan to! Its always good to switch up your routine.  Plus, now that I did the workshop I can take the regular classes!! See I'm a Workshop Grad! Woot Woot!

If you want to learn more and get in on this AMAZE practice reach out to Maria's studio if your local to North Haven, Connecticut at Studio Ascend, or find them on Facebook too HERE.


Benefit excerpts taken from Top 10 Health Benefits of Aerial Yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment