You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

You Have One Life- Make it Shine!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Prepare: Mechanics of Meal Prep- You and the Kids

Meal preparation is something that I have to boiled down to a science.

  Everyone does it a little differently and I don't think any one way is right. What works for YOU is what is right. 

For instance, I purchase all my groceries  on Sunday and usually do most of my cooking for my families lunches and snacks on that day.  I make sure I have available healthy foods so we can plan dinners day to day.  Others like to shop for only a few days at a time and prepare on the fly.  Our household doesn't allow for that luxury so I need to make sure we get the bulk of he cooking done on Sunday. We are so busy during the week, I need to be able to just throw things in lunch bags and go. The more prepped they are the better.  It not only helps me to stay on track. But it also gives the kids more healthy options than picking lots of over-processed crackers and chips out of the cupboards.   


Now I'm not hating on convenience foods. My family surely has used them in the past and leaned on them a lot.  I just changed my definition of convenience food a bit. I would rather pay a little extra to get some pre-cut veggies or fruit if needed.  (Cut apples or pineapple.) Versus boxed graham crackers and chips. I always make sure there is a "dip" of some sort that is either a healthy fat (hummus) or fat/protein (peanut butter). My daughter is really sensitive to sugar and if she has too much we have issues and if she doesn't have enough.... you get the picture.   so having some of theses easy to grab items around makes a big difference to how the week runs.

I also have been known to pickup these Perdue chicken cuts ready to go if we are in a crunch and I need a protein source for my salads or with my steamed veggies.  

Lately I've been leaning more towards white fish, Tilapia, Cod etc... but sometimes you need to do what is faster and make the best, healthy decisions.  

I also may bake a turkey breast for the week.  I can cut it up for sandwiches or use it for lunches as well.  

For the kiddos, they are fans of tuna also, so cutting up celery and shredding carrots to mix in there is a great option to give them added veggies and satisfy "crunch" without salty chips and processed snacks.  I really try to limit those in the house simply because they cause more issues and move us farther away from having the kids explore other options. 

Finally one of my newest kid favorites... 


Each tube has 40-50% less sugar than the leading tube yogurt with over twice the protein.  No artificial sweeteners, colors or preservatives.  We have taken to putting them in the freezer and the kids like them as a frozen yogurt snack. 

You need to do what works for your family and take it in small steps.  It's never a long term success if you just sweep the cupboards clean and turn it into a punishment for everyone.  Take it one day at a time and start making better choices and it will compound and you'll see some really positive changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment